Thursday, December 02, 2004

Ora Pro Nobis!

I met an amazing person. Sadly however, I think it is not good for my spiritual life.
Mater noster, ora pro nobis!

I found St. Augustine's memorable paragraph from his Confessions:

Late have I loved Thee, O Lord; and behold,

Thou wast within and I without, and there I sought Thee.
Thou was with me when I was not with Thee.
Thou didst call, and cry, and burst my deafness.
Thou didst gleam, and glow, and dispell my blindness.
Thou didst touch me, and I burned for Thy peace.
For Thyself Thou hast made us,

And restless our hearts until in Thee they find their ease.
And in Latin (o what beautiful language!):

Sero te amavi, pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova, sero te amavi!
et ecce intus eras et ego foris, et ibi te quaerebam, et in ista formosa, quae fecisti, deformis inruebam.
mecum eras, et tecum non eram.
ea me tenebant longe a te, quae si in te non essent, non essent.
vocasti et clamasti et rupisti surditatem meam: coruscasti, splenduisti et fugasti caecitatem meam: fragrasti, et duxi spiritum, et anhelo tibi, gustavi et esurio et sitio, tetigisti me, et exarsi in pacem tuam.

No comments: